Thursday, February 17, 2011

Arizona is Blessed with Birth Centers!

I love that there are several options for birth centers in the Phoenix area and I've had the opportunity to tour them all. The first one I visited was http://babymooninn.com/ where I met Julia the Director, and Certified Nurse Midwife Connie Garcia. This is a quaint little place that has the cozy feeling of a bed and breakfast. There's a nice, large birthing tub in the same room as the full size bed and a gorgeous spa shower just steps away. As part of their package for first time mamas, they include doula services and a childbirth class!

Last Saturday, I went to the open house of the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Mesa http://azmidwifeonline.org/. This is a non-profit birth center and at the heart of it is Family Nurse Practitioner, Claudine Calligan. Claudine is also a Certified Nurse Midwife and works alongside her two daughters; one who is becoming a Nurse Practitioner and the other is an RN. This is quite the family operation and quite the ministry as well. If you've had a cesarean and desire to have a VBAC outside of a hospital, stop in and see Claudine. She will do an interview with you to see if you are a candidate for birthing at the birth center.

The most recent birth center I visited was http://blossombirthcenter.com/ in central Phoenix. I had the pleasure of meeting with midwife Mary Langlois who shared the story of how Blossom Birth Center came into existence. With having Dr. Nichelle Whitehead as part of the team, they have the added benefit of having an experienced OB who has a heart for natural birth! They did a wonderful job of designing the two birthing rooms with tubs in each room and a common kitchen area that is state of the art. This is a full service wellness center that includes accupuncture, aromatherapy, massage therapy, and even a one-stop lactation center!

We are truly blessed to have so many options of birth centers and wonderful midwives. I am excited to meet another great midwife, Stephanie Soderblom. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about her and the work she does through http://www.nurturingheartsbirthservices.com/

If only I could have one more baby and have my dream birth...On second thought, I'll just enjoy my grandbabies and help other mamas have their dream birth :0)

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Hope you don't mind me stopping by your blog. I am moving from Colorado to Phoenix and was just looking into birthing centers in AZ and came across your blog. I've had 2 babies (both natural births), and my son was born in a birthing center. The only birthing center in CO, how crazy is that?

I am excited to see that AZ has plenty of resources for us to choose from when we decided for baby #3.

Dianne said...

Hi Cindy...I'd love to meet you when that time comes! Have a safe move.

Byron Nesvog said...

Cindy,
I just stumbled across this blog tonight in search of a midwife. We also moved from CO to AZ a year ago and both of our kiddos were born at MMC!! One in 2008 and one in 2010. I think we going to do home birth this time! Best of luck with your move, and cheers to more babies !! ;)
Jane